Monday, February 4, 2013

StoryKit- An awesome app for digital storytelling

So over the past few weeks, this class along with the lack of technology that is available to myself and my students, I have been trying to pool my resources to better meet the NETS.  I have to admit that I do feel guilty at times when I think about how much my students are missing out on, in regards to adequate technology instruction due to accessibility issues.  With that said, I have been "attempting" to use my iPad to teach my mini lessons for Writing Workshop.  I have been using a FREE app called StoryKit.  So far it's been great, and I haven't had any "technical difficulties" at all with it!  This app is not only great because it's free but it allows you to write an unlimited amount of text across each page.  You can also draw the pictures or upload photos from your iPad library.  Additionally, you record your own voice reading the story aloud (which is also great fluency work).  One of the reasons I am so excited about this app is because, year after year I find myself scrambling at the beginning or Writing Workshop to rewrite and create my own mentor texts to use with the students.  StoryKit is a great place to save and update my work year after year!  Which means... LESS WORK :)




Here's one of my stories that I have been using in our realistic fiction unit.  I specifically used this piece to teach building suspense and adding in some description to people, places or things.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Abbey for sharing this. I am ALWAYS looking for new ideas and free apps! Cute story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!!! Thanks for sharing. I will give this a try with my second graders. Especially those reluctant writers - this is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great app!! I'm always looking for a new way to engage my students, especially those who don't always want to put their best efforts forward...I can't wait to use this with my students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this Abby! I think I am going to give this a try with my 2nd graders:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always looking for new ideas to teach writing... and to encourage reluctant writers! This app sounds great, and I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete